A Gator in Dar Es Salaam

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi - Out of Africa always something new" -Pliny the Elder

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Mom and Dad

Well the parents arrived Sunday afternoon. Mercer and I got to the airport an hour early and they were probably the last people to clear customs and get their luggage. Not decked out in safari gear, they were respectably dressed for getting off the plane in Africa, haha. We got to the hotel and just hung out on the patio at the back of the hotel and just talked. Yesterday morning we walked in to town and then caught a cab out to the university. We had lunch with my roommate Daniel and that was great, saw my dorm room and walked around the University. Daniel wants to meet Babu(my Grandpa) since he made us a bunch of movies to watch in the dorm. Mom and Dad then got on the DollaDolla with me from campus up to Mwenge market and they did great with that. We caught a cab back to campus and while my Dad took a nap, Mom and I walked around all over downtown and she seemed like she had been here as long as me.

Last night we met about 8-10 of my friends at Addiss in Dar Ethiopian Restaurant, the best place in town and they had their first taste of Ethiopian food and Ethiopian Honey Wine. We had a great time and everyone loved them, and my mom brought goodie bags for everyone, so those were a big hit. I finally finished the run-around with Emirates this morning and have a hard copy ticket for my flight home. We leave in about 3 hours to fly up to Arusha and then start the 5 day safari tommorow(Wednesday) morning. Having a great time and it seems like my parents are really enjoying being here and the differences in life here.


Take care,
Matt

4 Comments:

  • At 2/23/2006 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Dar Gator--(that translates differently in Floridian), I have been silently following along reading your posts and thank you for letting the less adventurous peek at Africa through the window you have so thoughtfully provided.

    Hope you and your folks have a great safari and safe trip home. I look forward to hearing more details------Joe P

     
  • At 2/24/2006 3:04 PM, Anonymous Tonje said…

    Ey!
    Finally got some pictures out on my blog:)
    Enjoy ur last time in tz!

     
  • At 2/25/2006 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey... Just thought Mom and Dad might be interested in the fact that I got a 31 on my ACT! I sent Emails, but I didn't know if you would get this sooner. Can't wait to see you again!
    ~Todd

     
  • At 2/26/2006 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey everyone...glad your parents arrived safely...please pass on to your parents that Tim and Faith will be here 5/28 and tix go on sale 3/4...just announced today...please have a safe trip home and your first Wendys meal is on us...
    ps...Todd seems to be doing great...called to check on him this morning...
    Lee Anne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home