A Gator in Dar Es Salaam

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi - Out of Africa always something new" -Pliny the Elder

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Lusaka Zambia

Well after 88 hours on the Tazara Railway and 3 hours by minibus, I have arrived in the capital of Zambia, Lusaka. Zambia is a beautiful country from what I have seen. Probably the greenest place I have ever encountered. It is currently raining outside.

We were supposed to arrive at 8 am in Kapiri Mposhi Zambia, about 3 hours drive from Lusaka. Due to a 10 hour delay in western Tanzania and a 30 hour delay in Mpika Zambia, we arrived exactly 48 hours late. Apparently a car had derailed on the tracks ahead of us, carrying cargo or something and we had to wait for it to be cleared away. So 4 nights on the train and I am so glad to be here. I am staying at ChaChaCha backpackers, a nice hostel and I just took a HOT shower. The rural infrastructure of Zambia really puts Tanzania to shame. Their is maize growing everywhere and I even saw nice irrigation systems. The houses are nicer and there is even yellow lines in the middle of the road. Lusaka itself is great so far, so much nicer/cleaner than Dar. I will be in Zambia/Botswana/Zimbabwe in some combination for atleast the next week before catching the ferry up Lake Tanganyika to western Tanzania. Having a blast and loving Zambia, a beautiful country, so green, and I dont get stared at here, craziness.

Take care,

Matt Stacy

1 Comments:

  • At 1/26/2006 4:24 PM, Anonymous Mom said…

    Keep updating. Everyone is worried about you. It's not exactly common in Florida to say your son is
    "traveling through Africa." All kinds of unfounded thoughts go through people's heads.

    Love and miss you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home