A Gator in Dar Es Salaam

"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi - Out of Africa always something new" -Pliny the Elder

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Interesting things that have happened to me this week

Because of the East African drought power cuts will be implemented this week in Tanzania, that also includes all water services. Hopefully it won't be to bad, Dar es Salaam is definitely the most reliable water source in the country. Anyways the following things happened to me this week:

While walking from the computer lab towards the cafeteria I noticed a cat climbing up a tree. I did not think much about this, because cats occasionally climb trees. As I walked nearly directly under the tree a fun little green snake fell from the tree and slithered away. It was a Green Mamba, but a small one atleast. I laughed and the guy next to me said "I'm glad no one was right over there"

I got in to the shower on Friday and turned the water on, the pressure quickly started to fade, so I hurried...unsuccessfully. I then returned to my room to get a bucket of water. You would be suprised how clean you get with just 10 liters of water (2.5 Gallons).

My professor asked us to turn a paper in last week, then he went out of town and no one can tell us when he will be back.

I thought I won a contest by getting a goal logo on the inside of a bottle cap of Castle Bia, I had in fact won nothing, and the contest has expired.

I watched a soccer game that ended 0-0(shocking I know).

2 Dalla Dallas got in to a fender bender. This is one of the first little crashes I have seen. Despite feeling that at any point the traffic system will totally break down and cars will just ram each other, this doesnt happen. Despite the lack of traffic lights and busy 4 way intersections, there is hardly ever any wrecks.

Have a nice week, I finish with exams next Saturday, which will be a great feeling and I am so excited to finish classes at this silly bureaucratic school.

Matt

1 Comments:

  • At 1/09/2006 3:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I stumbled across your blog while looking for something else. Very interesting! At the end of August, I was in Morogoro with a couple of friends on a mission trip. I look forward next summer to going back to Tanzania, to Dar, Morogoro, and Arusha. Reading your blog and looking at your picture has brought back many memories. Thanks!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home